Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Drinkin'

You know, the tame kind.



One of these days I'm going to learn to make sangrias.



Like this kind.






Or this kind.




But for now, I'm sticking to delightful midday sippers, like this baby.




Fresh-squeezed lemonade. In all its summery deliciousness.



This happened because I went to the library (huzzah for free summer fun!) and brought home some books to read. As I drove home I pictured myself sprawled on the couch, enjoying the warm breezes through my window, reading my new books and sipping something icy cold and delightful.


And, since I don't really do cocktails and, as stated, have yet to try homemade sangria, I decided lemonade would be the perfect drink.


I stopped for some lemons at the little produce store down the street, and brought home a handful of bright yellow beauties to add to my existing collection.





You can never have too many lemons. Agreed?


Especially when posed next to empty beer bottles. 



Anyways, I hunted down a simple recipe online and adapted it to my tastes. The only way I know how.



Start with some simple syrup.


Preferably in a scratched up saucepan. 


Then, since I do not own one of those little dome-shaped juicer thingies, and was too lazy to haul the real juicer out of the attic and peel all of the lemons, I cut the lemons in half and squeezed/spooned the juice and a good deal of pulp out of the lemons. 




Juice until you have a sad pile of empty lemon peels left. 




I actually saved these, because I like to drop lemon rinds down my garbage disposal so my kitchen smells nice. 



Be careful of lemon seeds.





Mine all ended up in the bottom of the juice, so I held a spoon over the lip of the pyrex glass while I poured the juice into the pitcher, and then scooped out the seeds so I could dump the pulp into the pitcher too. 




Pour in the simple syrup to taste. I like my lemonade a little on the tart side--I like that puckery feeling in my mouth.




Enjoy, preferably on a hot summer day with a good book in hand! 



Fresh Squeezed Lemonade
adapted from Simply Recipes

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup lemon juice (I used about five and half lemons)
3-4 cups of cold water

Boil the water and sugar together until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let it cool while juicing the lemons. Stir the simple syrup into the lemon juice (I only used about 3/4 of the simple syrup, because, as I said, I prefer tart lemonade to sweet). Add water, again to taste, to dilute and completely cool the lemonade. Serve over ice! 


Happy summer! 



No comments:

Post a Comment