Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Perfect Storm

So I have to admit, I'm kind of looking forward to Hurricane Sandy.



I do wish my boy was safely home with me instead of in Seattle for work, but my sister is here and that's an excellent second.


But, I'm looking forward to an extra day of sleeping in and grading papers and planning for the week.


Did I mention this on here?


I'm a second-grade teacher now.




I was assigned a long-term sub position (so no contract yet, for those of you who understand such things) for the rest of the year in a second grade class at one of the other elementary schools in our district.





It's totally awesome, I love my students and I'm completely overwhelmed. So this chance to recoup for an extra day. This job is totally a matter of pacing myself and trying to accomplish as much as I can without making myself crazy. As my best gal says, "there's always more you can do." But after ten hours in my classroom (and I mean ten hours in my classroom--eating lunch in there, only leaving to take the kids to special and go to the bathroom or ask for help with something), I realize that it's time to go home. So I'm pacing myself. Last week I started guided reading; this week I'm going to tackle author's workshop. After that I'll start improving my centers.





But I can't do it all at once.


So a day off is very much appreciated, just extra time to rest and recharge, think and plan, grade and assess.


We've got plenty of snacks, all the electronics are charged up, some extra water in bottles, and nowhere to go. Gas tanks are full, jobs are closed, puppy is ready to snuggle.





Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment