Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Delicious Fall Snack

Let me preface this by saying:

I love my husband.





He is a wonderful guy. He is kind and generous and (usually) thoughtful. He never hesitates to give of himself to others.

That being said, he is also extremely social. And I am not. Extremely social, that is. I love my friends, and I've definitely grown in the area of "wanting to be around other people for more than 20 minutes at a stretch," but I doubt I'll ever be as sociable as he is. My home-alone time is extremely valuable to me.

Why is it so valuable, you ask?

Because I make things like this:





I love love LOVE pumpkin things. I've always felt the value of seasonal things, of savoring that one time a year that a particular beloved item is available. And this year, pumpkin is at the top of my list. Pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin beers, you get the point. So when I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and found cans of pumpkin on sale, I jumped at the chance.





And since my darling husband is ~still~ not home from work (damn you, happy hour!) I decided to take advantage of my solitude and bake one of my favorite fall treats. Pumpkin muffins.





Of course, this works just as well when it's pumpkin bread, but muffins cook faster and by this time of day all of my patience has been used up by a bunch of five-year-olds. So muffins it is.

Pumpkin Muffins


1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
3/4 C pumpkin puree
1/2 C oil (or applesauce, to lower the fat)
1/2 C honey
1/2 C raisins and walnuts, each (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the nuts and raisins, if using. Grease muffin tin at bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.

Voila! Of course, I don't have pumpkin pie spice, so I just tossed some cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice into the bowl. Whatevs, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment