Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lightened Up Stroganoff

It was a blustery, wet day here in the Philly suburbs. Gray and super windy, chilly but also humid. Pretty yuck.


Since it is also the second day of Rosh Hashanah, I didn't have work. I babysat instead, which was nice because I was done at 3 instead of 6.


Ergo, I had time to try a new recipe!





This is the year of quickie dinners and crockpot meals. I am working full-time in the multiple disabilities classroom, and I have an after-school babysitting gig for a family in my district. It's really convenient because the kids are on the same schedule as me, and they live literally halfway between school and home.


(Which equals about 4 minutes each way. Awesome.)


Anyway, I've been practicing lots of super fast, hands-off meals and so far it's been going alright. I have a couple Ziploc bags of crockpot-ready food in my freezer, and an arsenal of easy recipes. Since I now get home between 5:30 and 6 PM, I don't feel like spending a ton of time fixing dinner (and Dan, for all his wonderful qualities, is no help in the kitchen. Of course, I tend to reinforce the "kitchen is Becca's dominion," so I don't really blame him. Thus, if Dan is responsible for dinner, we're eating take out).


Anyway, all this to say I was delighted to have time today to try a new recipe.


Dan loves beef stroganoff, especially his mom's beef stroganoff. This is possibly the only recipe of my MIL's that I do not particularly like. Her beef stroganoff is full of "cream of" soups,  very rich and heavy. This is a lightened-up version, still chock-full of hearty flavor and creamy texture, but waaaay healthier. We devoured this, which is why there are no pictures.


If beef stroganoff can even be remotely considered healthy.


I adapted a recipe from Gina's Skinny Recipes, a website I've used for several delicious, health-concious recipes. Here is my version.


SkinnyTaste Mushroom Stroganoff

  • 1 (generous) tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 - 3/4 pound of beef, any cheap cut will do
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium broth
  • 1 tbsp A1 Steak Sauce
  • 1 tsp tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup sliced Cremini mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp red wine
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • Egg noodles, cooked

Heat olive oil in a medium-large pan; salt and pepper the beef before sautéing (I purchased the cheapest pack of red meat I could find in the grocery store--.73 lbs of stir-fry meat, and it turned out fine) until no longer pink. Remove and set aside. Add the butter to the pan until melted, then add the onions. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes, until soft and fragrant, before adding the flour right to the pan. Stir well, then gradually add the broth (I used chicken because it's what I had on hand), steak sauce and tomato sauce. Simmer together until slightly reduced, and the sauce is thick and bubbly. Add the mushrooms, beef and red wine. 

This is where I really diverged from Gina's recipe; I let this concoction simmer away for about 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, I cleaned up the kitchen and cooked the noodles. A few minutes before the noodles were ready I added the yogurt, stirred it until thoroughly incorporated, and let it get all happy for another 5 minutes or so before serving. 

**Note: Some of my ingredient substitutions are simply because they are what was already in my kitchen. That's just how I roll. The beef, however, is due to the fact that my husband does not consider any meal (except pizza) a "real dinner" unless it contains meat.

Also, this meal would probably feed up to four people, if those people are eating before 8:30 PM and aren't totally ravenous. 

Last of all, we topped this with some grated Parmesan cheese. Because life is better when you put cheese on EVERYthing. 



Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment