Search This Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Green things in the Ground

Gardening is so satisfying.

Bean plant (that I didn't intend to buy, but is doing well anyway)

Four pepper plants, picked by Peter Piper personally. 


Cucumbers that are finally flourishing. 


Pea plants, taller than I am, and yielding the sweetest, crunchiest delights. 



Four tomato plants, two Roma and two cherry. Homemade bruschetta in the making.


Pretty little yellow flower that will become a sweet, juicy tomato. 


One of the most satisfying things about gardening is that it requires so much patience. In March I turned over the soil in my garden, mixed in some mulch, and started seeds in peat pots onto my windowsill. 


In April I hesitantly put my tender little peas and cucumbers in the ground, and seeded some lettuce right into the garden. A couple weeks later I bought the rest of my plants and put them in. 


Now, in the beginning of June, it's starting to look like a real garden, big and green and leafy, and we are immensely enjoying the produce. 


The waiting reminds me that good things do not always happen right away. It takes time, and slow, steady effort. I can't always see the results in real time, but when I stand back and remember how it used to be, I see that I am indeed making progress. 






No comments:

Post a Comment