Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2013

As Usual

I'm a little late to the game.



I'm totally this kind of teacher, too, in case anyone is wondering. The kind who googles a craftivity at 7:45 AM and preps it to be completed by 9:30 the same morning.



Some things never change.




At any rate, I just celebrated my 25th birthday in addition to the New Year, so I feel compelled to write something about the New Year.



I'm keeping it pretty simple. A couple bests, a couple worsts, and those in-between but nonetheless important things.



3 Best Things in 2012

1. I graduated college!! After 5 1/2 years of effort, a changed major, a transfer from community college to Temple University, one semester from hell, I finally made it. Forgive my somewhat dispirited "woot," I wasn't much of a college gal and the piece of paper at the end of it all is really all I cared about. I didn't walk at either graduation ceremony and we never really celebrated, but I have my Bachelors of Science in Education, with dual certification in Elementary and Special Education. I even graduated Magna Cum Laude!


2. I was hired by the same school district in which I student taught. Upper Dublin has been good to me, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a long and successful career with them. Definite plus for the farthest school being about a 15 minute commute from our apartment.


3. This last one was kind of a struggle for me. If you put a gun to my head, I'm not really sure that I could pinpoint one last wonderful experience. I got to visit the West Coast and see the Grand Canyon...that was amazing...I'm in the midst of my first real teaching experience...my sister moved back to PA....(wait, that last one is a pretty strong contender for number 3).

At any rate, one of the things that has been a huge blessing to me over the course of 2012 is my wonderful husband. Watching Dan really grow up, become a deacon at our church, care for me and others, slowly (oh so slowly) acclimate to the idea of someday being a father...it's been great. I feel closer to him than ever, and I'm so thankful for him.



3 Worst Things in 2012

(Unfortunately, this part was a little easier to write.)


1. I experienced so much loss this year. You can read about the biggest one here. In addition, my best friend lost a close cousin, my father lost his mother,  a little girl who was a student of my friend is dying of leukemia, another friend lost her job...yep, it was that kind of year. The scariest part is, the older I get, the more typical this will become.


2. My parents separated, then divorced. Very quickly. Then remarried. Very quickly. Both of them.


3. It's been a difficult year as far as balance. Especially with my teaching position, I've really struggled with finding a balance between home and work, between striving and relaxing. Relaxing has never been my forte, and Dan has actually been very good for me in that respect. But it's definitely been rough.




2 Most In-Between Things in 2012

1. My parents' remarriages have definitely been in-between things. Being so far away, it's been really weird to adjust to such big changes in my parents' lives. However, I know they are both happy in ways they haven't been in a long time.


2. My teaching job has actually been an in-between thing for me. Much as I love this field, it's been quite a ride. It's unyieldingly stressful, thankless and overwhelming. Believe it or not, I really miss special ed. However, it's certainly been a huge learning experience, and I love those moments when things just click and whatever we're doing works. We'll see where this takes me next.



So that's 2012 for you. I don't think I could honestly say it was an awesome year, but it was definitely a year of growth. I'm much older than I was this time last year.


Bring on 2013!!



No comments:

Post a Comment