Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Most Delicious Waffles You Will Ever Eat

So...I failed. Massively.



You guys, I totally meant to take awesome pictures of this meal being made, with all the steps, like some Pioneer Woman wannabe...



And all I managed to get was this.






But, if you can find it in your heart to forgive my negligence and try your hand at these waffles, you may just want to be my friend again.



These waffles are a Henrich family recipe, and actually a kind of finnicky one. It took me a couple tries to get this recipe right--you need just the right blend of fluffy waffle, crispy outside, and delicate sweetness with a crunch of pecan here and there.






I found two tricks, which I will reveal....below! In the recipe.



Oh, and in my personal opinion...these are best served with a heap of crispy bacon and a nice cold glass of fresh orange juice.






Williamsburg Waffles

2 3/4 cups flour
3 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 eggs (separated)
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp butter
2 2/3 cups milk
1/3 cup pecans


Sift the dry ingredients together (I usually toss them together in a bowl and whisk them until fine). In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg yolks until thick, then add milk and butter.

Here is my first trick--you need the butter to be melted in order to whisk it into the other wet ingredients. However, hot melty butter will cook the eggs, and not-quite-melted butter will get chunky and lumpy and look so gross you want to throw the whole thing out. Thus, I mix 2 cups of the milk in with the egg yolks, and pour the other 2/3 into the melted butter, whisking the whole time (after I'd done this a few times, I learned that this technique is called tempering). The mix the butter-milk mixture into the milk-egg mixture.

Beat the wet and dry ingredients together until just blended, then add the pecans.

This is the other really important part--whip the egg whites until stiff. This does not mean that you halfheartedly beat the egg whites until the top layer is fluffy. Beat those suckers within an inch of their lives. If you have one of those awesome crank whisk thingies, this won't be too hard. If you're like me, beg your studly husband to help you out.

Then, right before cooking, fold the egg whites into the rest of the batter. The batter will be pretty runny, but that's ok.

Pour into your waffle iron. In my mid-sized iron, this usually makes 12-14 waffles, which easily feeds 4 people (especially if you serve it with that heap of bacon).




Bon-waffle-it!
please please please pronounce that "bone-waffle-eat"





Wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment