Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

I don't actually know that much about MLK. Mostly I'm glad for an extra day off!


But today I decided to read this letter, written by Reverend King when he was imprisoned in the Birmingham Jail. I'd never read it before, but I'm stricken by his deep intelligence and clear expression, and the content which still rings astonishingly true today.


This is not to say that I expected anything less than intelligence, clarity, or truth; I can honestly say that I approached this letter with almost no expectations, since I am ridiculously ignorant about Rev. King.


I especially appreciated his comments about the Church; while he is addressing the "white" Church specifically (which should not really be, but I understand the context in which he is writing), many of his comments about the Church's unwillingness to be unpopular, and the disillusionment of young people with organized religion, hit the nail right on the head.


We are called to a higher ground, whether dealing with racial tension, lifestyle choices, or simple personality differences. It's important to remember.


Happy Martin Luther King Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment