Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy New Year!

Wow, that Christmas season just flew by.


For some reason, even though I've been spending so much time sitting around doing nothing, I haven't blogged. I guess I just don't have much to say when I'm not doing anything!


Make sense, right?


Of course right.


Anyway, Christmas was fun. We were just the right amount of busy, and Dan had enough days off that we were really able to relax and enjoy.


(As much as I love him, when he's randomly home it tends to throw off my schedule. It's not that I'm not glad to have him around! Because I am. It's just weird.)


We got to see some friends.


Hannah, I'm lookin' at you.


And spend some quality time with other friends.


Painting, for instance.


Finally, on Sunday night, everyone was home. So what did we do? I made dinner for everyone, of course!




"Of course you did," you say. Really, though, there was something incredibly soothing about being back in my kitchen, using my tools, my stove, and my ingredients, to make a simple, comforting meal for my friends who had been traveling.


(Did I mention we were housesitting over the holiday too? Yep, we were.)


Something magical about having all the time in the world, not rushing for a million guests, not trying anything new or fancy, just hunting through my kitchen for basic supplies, things I always have on hand.



Watching the layers of paper-thin skin peel away from the onions and garlic became a quiet meditation.



Slathering butter in between slices of bread and toasting them in the oven was peaceful.




(Don't worry, mom--I steamed some green beans to go with dinner too. I always eat my vegetables.)




And of course, a little something sweet.




Cheesy Ritz Chicken
Recipe by the magnificent and magnanimous Kelly Nelson Alberts


5 Chicken breasts
3-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1 stick butter
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
approx. 1 1/2 cups cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onions and garlic in the melted butter. Place chicken breasts in a glass dish. Drizzle the garlic, onions and butter over the chicken. Sprinkle crackers, then cheese over chicken. Bake at 375 for ~45 minutes.

1 comment: