Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In Which I Declare Myself...

A nerd. 



I know, I know, big gasps of surprise from...



No one. 



"Wil Wheaton explained in a much-shared YouTube clip about why it’s “awesome” to be a nerd. He declared that the defining characteristic of being a nerd was loving things. It’s not what we love, he said, but how we love: with passion. That passion makes us nerds." --Jason Boyett, in Parenting and Passions and Making Nerds of Your Children.


Upon reading this, a huge smile spread across my face. Yes, I'm a nerd, and I'm darn proud of it. I've often thought about the concept of hipsters, and their "nothing is cool" attitude. I couldn't ever subscribe to that notion, because there are just so many cool things out there.



For instance, I've watched several butterflies hatch from their chrysalides in the last week. 



I've watched kids slowly learn to put letters together into words, and those words into meaning. 



I've watched great movies, read wonderful books, gasped, laughed, and sobbed along to my favorite stories and characters. 



I've watched babies become toddlers, and toddlers become children, and children become people. 



There are just too many cool things to be excited about. This passion, this excitement, this desire to experience things fully...why would you want to suppress that?


So, hats off to nerds everywhere. Wave your nerdy flag, and don't forget to pass that enthusiasm and passion on! 


No comments:

Post a Comment