Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

Brown Sugar Taco Rubbed Salmon

It's cooled off beautifully here, and I'm loving it. The afternoons are still toasty warm and mostly sunny, but the evenings are cool enough to cook and sit in the living room (instead of hibernating in the AC'ed bedroom).



Since I'm dutifully trying to clear out some of my stockpiled freezer, I decided to make some salmon for dinner, and I knew exactly what to do with it.



Andie's blog is a fantastic combination of weight loss memoir, personal narrative, and amazing recipes. I found one particular recipe for brown sugar chili rubbed salmon with avocado crema.



Almost immediately upon embarking on this recipe, I realized that I was missing chili powder. Rather than giving up, I decided to get a little crazy and use Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning instead. TJ's is my favorite taco seasoning because a) it's preservative and chemical free, just straight up spices, and b) it's perfectly spicy and heated without that flat flavor, burn-your-tongue variety of hotness.



So I mixed up the taco seasoning (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and rubbed it allll over the salmon. Pan fried away, and voila!



Holy moly, it was deLICious. Like, insanely good. Perfect carmelized crust, smoky sweet flavor, and moist, just-right salmon. I paired it with some roasted corn on the cob, brown rice, and zucchini. The avocado crema was the perfect topping for the Ready Rice shortcut I used.



Suffice to say, this was a hit and will definitely be my preferred method of cooking salmon for quite some time!


(Sorry for the pitiful lack of photos. I was lazy and hungry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment