Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Sunday Food-Day

(Just a heads up that posts may be slowing down now that school has started...thanks for continuing to stop by!)



I love the new school year for a lot of reasons, but one of them is pretty simple--it feels like a fresh start. I basically get an extra "new years" to make (and break) promises to myself and others. One of those promises is usually about eating well.





I actually love vegetables (probably thanks to parents who always encouraged us to be in the kitchen, and having a large veggie garden in the backyard that taught me about the wonders of sun-ripened summer tomatoes). So, it's not terribly difficult to eat my veggies, except...



it kind of is.



This is my two-week old method of getting my veggies in. It's nothing mind-blowing, and it's pretty fool proof:


Cauliflower and broccoli (my personal favorite)


Yellow squash and zucchini


Sweet potatoes (Dan's favorite)!



Roast 'em!



Honest to goodness, roasted veggies feel like a treat. Nothing else I've tried brings out the glorious flavors and textures. I use these basic implements,






And add these guys as I see fit (sweet potatoes with paprika and garlic is heavenly, even Dan agrees).





I'll divide up these goodies into little bowls with brown rice (I'm a big fan of a shortcut here: I use Uncle Ben's Ready Rice and just nuke a couple packs. There are no preservatives, and while they don't have a ton of flavor, they're perfect with a hearty serving of roasted veggies) and have lunch all week long.



Best part? It takes me about an hour, start to finish, on Sunday afternoon.



Then I get to make some cookies with these babies.






I can't make any promises as to how long this system will last, but so far it's delicious, and it's actually training my body to crave vegetables every day. I'm not packing myself any sweet snacks, just fruit and maybe a granola bar or something salty.



Let the healthy(ish) eating commence! What's your favorite thing to pack for lunch? Or are you lucky enough to buy or make at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment