Search This Blog

Friday, March 15, 2013

The Unsavory Truth

Guys, I have a confession to make.



Cooking is not always fun for me.



I know, I can hear your gasps of astonishment across the interwebs.



See, I married a smart, hardworking, talented man with lots of great qualities and abilities. He can change the oil in your car like nobody's business, he singlehandedly refinished our hardwood floors, and he just built this contraption that will spin the yeast for his homebrewed beer.



He does not, however, cook. Like, ever.



(That's not entirely true...he makes a mean French toast.)



But the day-in, day-out cooking falls to me. And as I've discussed in (most of) my other food-related posts, I really like cooking for the most part. But some days, it's just not that enjoyable.



Take taco pie night.



We love tacos, and The Girl Who Ate Everything has this awesome looking recipe for quesadilla pie. I decided to tweak it, add some veggies and salsa, and call it taco pie. Great idea, right?





It started off fine, I was pretty chill, and nothing too crazy.




But I wasn't feeling particularly enthusiastic about cooking in general, and things just started to go downhill. I was running out of horizontal space due to some life stuff on the table, and the aforementioned spinning contraption on the other counter. And I have a pretty small kitchen to begin with, so random crap taking up my cooking space leads to stressed Becster+hyperventilating pretty quickly.



Yeah, I hyperventilate when there's clutter. What, is that weird?



Anyway, I didn't have a couple things the recipe called for, and I improvised a little bit, but I wasn't happy about it.




BTW, if you haven't tried TJ's Taco Seasoning, I recommend it. It's great for people like me who vaguely dream of cutting out MSG and preservatives, but just don't bother to make their own seasonings and dressings. The ingredients? Straight up spices. 


But you know what happened? Dinner turned out, we ate it and were satisfied. Lesson? Cooking dinner doesn't always have to be some grand meditative affair. Sometimes it's just a matter of gritting your teeth and putting something edible together, because that's how life goes. At the end of the day, we have full bellies and plenty to give thanks for.




No comments:

Post a Comment